- "Hound Chase" - The Freight Hoppers - Mile Marker [Bake Tone]
Just came in the mail today, latest from the great old time band from NC, The Freight Hoppers. Click on the Freight Hoppers to go to their website where you can listen to most of this cd.
- "Birmingham Jail" - Chatham County Line - IV [Yep Rock]
We just celebrated Martin Luther King day. this song remembers one of the most heinous crimes committed during the era when MLK was fighting for civil rights for all.
- "I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free" - Fiddlers 4 - Fiddlers 4 [Compass]
Another song from the civil rights era, written by the great Billy Taylor, who passed away recently. Here sung by Bruce Molsky
- "Train That Carried My Gal From Town" - The Freight Hoppers - Mile Marker [Bake Tone]
More Hoppers music
- "Taxes On The Farmer FeedThem All" - The Freight Hoppers - Mile Marker [Bake Tone]
From Fiddlin John Carson in the 1920s. Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
- "Can't Find My Way Home" - Rob Ickes - Slide City [Rounder]
Start of a set of rock classics redone in a sunset road kinda way. Tim O'Brien on vocals
- "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" - Darol Anger & Mike Marshall - Psycho Grass [Windham Hill]
Tim O'Brien again...
- "You Got The Silver" - Crooked Still - Some Strange Country [Signature Sounds]
Rolling Stones cover
- "Who throwed lye on my dog?" - The Horseflies - Human Fly [Rounder]
by request from Bill, listening online
- "Run Kitty Run" - Adam Tanner & Frank Lee - Two Mules [Self]
Frank Lee is the banjo player with the Freight Hoppers
- "When I was A Cowboy" - Adam Tanner & Frank Lee - Two Mules [Self]
- "Riley The Furniture Man" - Frank Lee - Artseen [Self]
- "Waltzing's For Dreamers" - Carrie Rodriguez - Love and Circumstance [Ninth Street Opus]
Another covers set. This one is by Richard Thompson, in case you didn't know...
- "Yellow" - Bill Frisell & Petra Haden - Petra Haden And Bill Frisell [Sovereign Artists]
- "Goodnight Irene" - Bill Frisell - The Willies [Nonesuch]
Another Leadbelly cover. With Danny Barnes
- "Urge For Going" - Darrell Scott - Modern Hymns [Full Light]
Joni Mitchell cover
- "Help Me / vocals by Laurie Lewis" - Darol Anger And The American Fiddle Ensemble - Republic of Strings [Compass]
- "If" - Joni Mitchell - Shine [Hear]
Joni interprets Rudyard Kipling.
- "Funeral In My Brain" - Wayfaring Strangers - Shifting Sands Of Time [Rounder]
The Wayfaring Strangers interpret Emily Dickinson
- "I Speak Fula" - Bassekou Kouyaté & Ngoni Ba - I Speak Fula [Next Ambiance]
Loads of ngonis, ancestor of the banjo, on this cd.
- "Saro (Featuring Vieux Farka Toure)" - Bassekou Kouyaté & Ngoni Ba - I Speak Fula [Next Ambiance]
- "A Remark You Made" - Jerry Douglas - The Best Kept Secret [Sugar Hill]
Weather Report Cover
- "Soldier" - Tangle Eye - Alan Lomax's Southern Journey Remixed [ZOE RECORDS]
till next time....Pete
(PS Check out the WTJU folk blog at http://wtjufolkdept.blogspot.com/)
- wtju folk dept
- written by members of WTJU Charlottesville's folk department with stuff maybe of interest to listeners to the station. This blog is not an official WTJU or UVA website. Want to leave a message about any of our programs (or us in general) that we can broadcast over the air? Call 434-218-3655, and leave a voice mail.