Students and instructors from the Blue Ridge Irish Music School stopped by Sunset Road on WTJU on 3/18/11 before their annual benefit concert and fundraiser that evening at the Stage Cafe at C'ville Coffee in Charlottesville. Here are videos of the tunes and songs they played:
- wtju folk dept
- written by members of WTJU Charlottesville's folk department with stuff maybe of interest to listeners to the station. This blog is not an official WTJU or UVA website. Want to leave a message about any of our programs (or us in general) that we can broadcast over the air? Call 434-218-3655, and leave a voice mail.
Saturday, March 19, 2011
- "Pete's Tune" - Extended Play Boys - Extended Play Boys [Beet]
- "The Starting Gate" - Planxty - Live 2004
- "BRIMS" - LIVE IN THE STUDIO
The Blue Ridge Irish Music School will be holding it's annual fundraiser & silent auction this evening at Cville Coffee in Charlottesville
- "Pink" - Alex Caton & Pat Egan - Demo Cd [Self]
- "ON MY WAY" - THE TWANGTOWN PARAMOURS - THE TWANGTOWN PARAMOURS
Appearing at Rapunzel's in Lovingston VA this evening
- "Queen & the Soldier" - Dervish - Travelling Show [Whirling Discs]
Appearing at the Jefferson theater,C'ville next friday, 3/25 with Lunasa. Click on 'Queen & the Soldier' to go to the benefit concert website.
- "Arthur McBride" - Planxty - Live 2004
- "Gabriel Bol Deng Interview"
Gabriel Bol Deng is the founder of 'Hope for Ariang', the beneficiary of the concert at the Jefferson theater next friday, 3/25, with Lunasa & Dervish. Click on 'Gabriel Bol Deng Interview' to go to the website for the benefit concert.
- "Sligo Live Concert: The Cat she went a-Hunting" - Dervish - From Stage To Stage [Whirling Discs]
- "Molly And Johnny" - Dervish - Live In Palma [Disc 1] [Whirling Discs]
- "Lunasa" - Live recording from Sunset Road 9/12/08
- "Cavan Potholes" - Dónal Lunny - Journey : The Best of Donal Lunny [Disc 1] [Rounder]
- "Mackerel and Tatties: Becks Verandah/Perth Reel/Mackerel and Tat" - Michael McGoldrick - Aurora [Compass]
- "Downtown" - Moving Hearts - Live In Dublin [Compass]
- "The Hill Of Thieves" - Cara Dillon - Hill of Thieves
- "The King's Shilling" - Karan Casey - The Winds Begin To Sing [Shanachie]
Happy belated St Patrick's Day, y'all!
Saturday, March 5, 2011
- "Pete's Tune" - Extended Play Boys - Extended Play Boys [Beet]
- "Cheeseballs In Cowtown" - Béla Fleck - Tales From The Acoustic Planet [Warner]
Soon to be *Dr Bela Fleck"! Congrats on two more grammies, Bela!
- "Port Tobacco" - Tony Rice - The Bluegrass Guitar Collection [Rounder]
Tony Rice Unit & Sierra Hull & Highway 111 at the Birchmere, Alexandria, next friday, 3/11
- "Bombshell" - Sierra Hull - Daybreak [Rounder]
- "Lover, Come Back To Me" - Danny Knicely, Nate Leath, Aimee Curl, Bert Carlson - The Melody Lingers On [Self]
Bert Carlson coming to cville coffee april 15th w Jennifer Kirkland
- "The Song Is Ended" - Danny Knicely, Nate Leath, Aimee Curl, Bert Carlson - The Melody Lingers On [Self]
- "In Continental Mood (Andy Cutting)/Silly Wizard waltz/Mulhaire's" - Blue Ridge Irish Music School - Virginia Reel [BRIMS]
BRIMS benefit concert & silent auction fri 3/18 at C'ville Coffee in Charlottesville. Members of BRIMS will perform on Sunset Road prior to the concert.
- "Donegal Highland/The Merry Sisters/Frank's Reel (John McCusker)" - Blue Ridge Irish Music School - Virginia Reel [BRIMS]
- "Delancey Street Rag" - Natalia Paruz/ Musical Saw - Playing on the Edge [Self]
I featured Natalia Paruz on Musical Saw last week on Sunset Rd. Here she plays tuned cowbells.
- "One River" - Natalia Paruz/ Musical Saw - Playing on the Edge [Self]
Natalia Paruz on handbells
- "Ryestraw" - Lunasa - La Nua [Self]
Lunasa AND Dervish play the Jefferson Theater in Charlottesville on fri 3/25 in a benefit concert for South Sudan humanitarian organization Hope For Ariang.
Click on "Ryestraw" to see the band perform the set live on youtube in Richmond last october.
- "Fest Noz" - Lunasa - La Nua [Self]
- "The Mighty Sparrow" - Sharon Shannon - Out The Gap [Green Linnet]
Lunasa's bass player, Trevor Hutchinson was in Sharon Shannon's band when they did this cd. Produced by Reggae luminary Dennis Bovell
- "The Leading Role: The Leading Role / Little Man with the Brown S" - Cillian Vallely & Kevin Crawford - On Common Ground [Self]
From the duet cd by Lunasa's pipes & flute players. this one is a solo piece by flute player Kevin Crawford
- "Uirchill a' Chreagain//Gorman's" - Cillian Vallely & Kevin Crawford - On Common Ground [Self]
Solo piece by Lunasa's piper Cillian Vallely
- "Punch In The Dark = Shamrock Hill; Welcome To Shetland; Punch In" - Sean Smyth - The Blue Fiddle [Self]
One from Lunasa's fiddle player Sean Smyth's solo cd
- "The Merry Sisters of Fate" - Lunasa - The Merry Sisters Of Fate [Compass]
Click on "Merry Sisters" to see Lunasa playing an amazing version of this set plus The Bucks of Oranmore live at Celtic Connections in Glasgow, Scotland
- "The Butlers Of Glen Avenue / Sliabh Russell / Cathal McConnell's" - Lunasa - Otherworld [Compass]
- "Sebastopol Concert: Lord Levett" - Dervish - From Stage To Stage [Whirling Discs]
A set of Dervish tunes to finish the show. Click on "Lord Levett" to see an animation to this song on youtube
Don't forget, Dervish & Lunasa together on one night at the Jefferson Charlottesville fri 3/25! Presented in part by WTJU!!
- "Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves" - Dervish - Travelling Show [Whirling Discs]
The 70's Cher hit done like it was always a trad Irish song. Click on "Gypsies" to see them perform it live on youtube
- "Red Haired Mary" - Dervish - From Stage To Stage
- "Sebastopol Concert: Slangpolska efter Byss-Calle (with Vasen, Mi" - Dervish - From Stage To Stage [Whirling Discs]
All star lineup here: Dervish, plus Mike Marshall, Vasen, Martin Hayes & Denis Cahill, all doing a swedish slangspolska. Yowsa!See you in two weeks.
Wednesday, March 2, 2011
|Emmett Boaz (L) with Alberto Vasquez (R)|
Alberto Vaszquez, known in some circles as The Crank of Dawn, will sit in with Peter Jones on Leftover Biscuits this Saturday, 5 March. He will program the entire show with recordings from his own private collection, most of which is only available on cassette.
Vasquez was a contemporary of the founding members of the New Lost City Ramblers, and spent considerable time with them and other traditional folk musicians starting back in the 1950s. So tune in this Saturday morning, starting at 6:30 (est) for a very special edition of Leftover Biscuits. And of course listen to Sunrise Magazine, hosted by The Crank of Dawn, starting at 6 a.m. (est).
Submitted by Peter Jones